Thursday 8 March 2012

Evaluation- video 1

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?
             As the front cover is the only page that will be on show to readers at first, it has to be eye catching and grab their attention away from the other magazines. I felt it was a good choice to use the typical black, red and white colour scheme because then the genre is obvious to readers and fits in with other magazines. However I didn’t make my main image the typical close up shot, but instead a long shot of a features artist which changes the typical layout of a magazine.The banner across the bottom of the page is in a solid black colour which makes it overpower the stripy pattern that the artist is wearing behind. It says ‘Coldplay are back’ which suggests the contents of the magazine is about successful artists and bands, automatically making us think the magazine is a success too. I also made my masthead very noticeable and different by creating a stamp effect on it to make it look more rough and worn. This conveys a sense of rebellion in the magazine which links back to the stereotypical rock star.  I included the bar code and magazine price and issue number at the bottom right hand of the  page to make it more authentic and also makes it easy for the reader to see how long the magazine has been around for and the price of it before they decide to spend their money on it. This is a typical feature of a magazine and therefore I have decided to include it in mine too.

                The contents page is very unusual and does not use all the typical features of a music magazine. Instead of dividing the page up into sections for text and images, I decided to use an image across the whole background and changed the opacity of it to make my text more readable. My heading ‘Contents’ has a bevel effect on it to give it a three dimensional look and this contrasts well with the black and white image on the background. I have used enlarged page numbers down the left hand side which are typically found in contents pages and they are key to helping the reader understand the layout of the magazine an navigate their way through it. I have included the social network logos on the page to represent that you can access the magazine online and this shows that they are trying to appeal to their audience in as many ways possible. I took this idea from magazines such as ‘Mojo’ and ‘Q’ as I thought it was a good way to attract new readers.
                My first double page spread consists of just an image and a quote from the artist. The purpose of this page is to ease the reader into the article and get an idea of what it’s going to be like. I enlarged the page number on the right hand side and added a glow effect as this ties in well with the glow from the moon in the image. Also, the quote overlaps the image and I enlarged and faded the quotation marks because I have seen this used in other magazines and liked the look it gave to the page. Although, I have adapted my magazine slightly from other magazines as the colour scheme has now changed to navy and light pink, as this is the colour of both my double page spreads. However I think adding this second double spread makes the colour changed work as it eases the reader into it and makes it flow better.

                Finally, my last double page spread includes my article. I kept my article in columns, the same as in all music magazines as it looks more appealing to the eye and neatens the page. I also wrapped the text around the main faded image on the right which makes the page look sophisticated and neat. I decided to use two images that take up a lot of the page. This is unusual as normally one main image is just used on half of the page, but I liked these two particular shots as I thought they were unusual. Again, like in all magazines, I included the website and page number at the bottom to constantly promote the magazine and show the variety of different ways readers can access the music information.

No comments:

Post a Comment