Thursday 29 March 2012

Evaluation- video 7

Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

I feel like I have made a lot of progress since the preliminary task because that was my first experience of using Photoshop and creating a magazine. In the preliminary task I had no knowledge on Photoshop and how to create different effects or even cut out images. I also had no idea how to use the cameras and only took the photos I needed. This made it very limiting as I had to use the only pictures I took and had no options to choose from. I didn’t really know the general characteristics that magazines should have so I had to guess for a lot of the sell lines and the positioning of the text.

Since completing my final music magazine, I think my knowledge of Photoshop has increased massively and after watching various tutorials I now know how to edit photos and create different effects that are commonly seen in magazines. For example, I now can cut out a photo successfully and make it look professional. My general knowledge of magazines has become better and I now know what key features are always included and what can be adapted for various magazines. This knowledge is reflected in my work as you can see the difference when you compare my preliminary task to my final task. For example, in my double page spreads I have learnt to use rulers to make sure my work does not go down the middle of the page were the fold will be, and to make sure all sections on the page are equal. This makes the page look overall more effective, and also I wrapped the text around the image which made it look of a higher quality.

When it came to my photo shoot for my final magazine, I now knew to be more prepared and have shot ideas in mind before I had the shoot. Therefore I did research and found different looks that I wanted to create for my magazine and made sure they were possible for me to do. I considered the different locations as I knew I wanted some outside shots for the double page spread, but also mainly shots inside in the studio so I could easily cut them out in Photoshop. This also made the lighting better for me to get a good front cover image. I made sure I took a wide variety of photos so I had numerous options to choose from for my magazine.

Overall, my skills on Photoshop have improved the most as I now automatically include drop shadows on my sell lines and know how to make the colours match with each other. I feel I have learnt what looks appropriate for a magazine and I have learnt the general characteristics that are found in a magazine and how to alter them to make it different from other magazines, but still recognisable at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment