Wednesday 21 March 2012

Evaluation- video 3

What kind of institution might distribute your media product and why?
There are four main distributors for magazines and they are Bauer consumer media, IPC media, the national magazine company and Conde Naste. I think the best company to distribute my magazine is Bauer consumer media. This is because it’s an International company, therefore will help to widen my target audience and make the magazine more recognised across the world, rather than just in the UK. However, the downside is that it already distributes similar music magazines such as Kerrang which is the rock genre and also Q magazine which is rock. This means they will have the same target audience as my magazine, but I think this could work to my advantage as the Bauer Company will already have experience and knowledge of the industry so they can then apply this to the distribution of my magazine. I also think that I have a younger target audience than Q and Kerrang and they are more rock based so this is a clear difference from my magazine. The Bauer Company has also produced many other magazines such as ‘Take a Break’ and ‘Empire’ which are not related to my magazine at all which is useful as they will not have as many similarities. There first magazine was produced in 1987 which gives me confidence that the company has a lot of experience and knows how to make a magazine successful.

                The Bauer Company would be interested in my magazine as they do not currently distribute one with the indie/rock genre. Even though they produce rock magazines, they are very different as the interests for the magazines do not overlap and they are both targeted at different ages, as mine is for the younger demographic. My magazine also has a lot of potential as it can become more successful as it gains more readers and status. It will be able to get bigger artists and will also gain their trust, meaning it will feature better articles and exclusives. The magazine follows some of the typical conventions of a music magazine; however I have altered it slightly so it’s quirky and unique and is not afraid to try something new. An example of this is the shot I have used for my front cover page. I decided to move away from the typical close up shot and instead substituted it for a long shot of the artist cross legged. This makes the front cover have a more powerful effect on the reader which is what was intended as this is the first page they will see and is what will draw the audience in.

No comments:

Post a Comment